Thursday, August 10, 2006

MP3s in my Car

Okay, it's probably a sign of age but walking around with permanent ear buds is something I just can't get into. Maybe I'll get there some day or maybe not.

I listen to music in mainly two environments: (1) at my desk (home and office) and (2) while driving. The first of those has been well taken care of for a long time. It's the second one that's the problem now. I'd really like to avoid carrying around CDs in the car, even copies of my CDs, so that's where I need an MP3 player.

Thus my real question is, why do I need a cassette adapter (which isn't an option since my car only has a CD player) or FM transmitter (which I haven't read anything good about)? Why can't I just adapt an MP3 player directly to my car system? All MP3 players have line-level outputs and I'm sure my car has line-level inputs. In fact my car has an auxiliary input for a CD changer and an AX (aux) button on the panel.

Well, I just came across this site, MP3Car.com, which looks promising.