Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Chrome


Well, the Chrome browser is finally here. I haven't been able to use it at work since I don't have a Windows machine there, so I'm finally trying it out at home. So far, it's okay.

My favorite feature is the use of separate processes for tabs. No more seemingly eternal pauses, with my browser completely frozen!, while Adobe Acrobat loads because I accidentally clicked a link to a PDF file! One tab might lock up but the others will hum along nicely.

Here's an interesting post regarding the relationship of Chrome to Google and how it does and doesn't “phones home.”

Am I a convert? It's hard to say. I really like Firefox 3! Especially on the Mac. There's definitely a long pause after clicking on Firefox 3 when it starts up, and Chrome doesn't have that. It seems faster during normal use, but I haven't checked that objectively.

Cnet has checked the speed, at least of the V8 Javascript engine.

The Wired article.

The neat comic book. It's not a fast read but the presentation is nice and clever and the techical content is quite good. This is part of the announcement.