Friday, June 02, 2006

The Old MAS Observatory


I came across this picture today of the old Museum of Arts and Sciences Observatory. The picture doesn't do the sizes of the telescopes justice. The blue and white telescope on the left is a very old Celestron 10-in. In the center is a Celestron 14-in on a permanent pier. In the back is a Celestron C8 8-in on a locked-triangle tripod. The C14 is taller than a normal person's head. The full-height door in the back gives some sense of scale.

My first summer in 1975 of working in the planetarium ``on my own'' I spent some time working on that C10. I'm not exactly sure what I did. I think I moved that pier back into the current location and mounted the telescope on it.

When the observatory was originally built, I think, the C10 and it's pier were mounted in the center where the C14 is now. So the C10 pier is not just sitting on the carpeted floor and isn't bolted down. The thing is so HEAVY that it is still quite stable.

If I'm right about all of that, and if it's still where it is in this picture, then the C10 has been in that spot since I moved it there in 1975, 31 years ago!