Thursday, September 01, 2011

I don't like Tablets and Pads

Okay, I have a Motorola Xoom for a week and so far, after spending maybe 20 minutes with it, I don't like it.  I don't like it at all.  Basically it's a device that does what my phone does, but it weighs about a million times more.  Holding it makes me physically uncomfortable.  I can operate my phone just fine with one hand but this thing always requires two.

I tried watching a Youtube video but there I was holding this thing.  I tried laying it down on my desk but then it was flat and at the wrong angle.  All I could see was a reflection of an overhead light.  It didn't seem like it would stand up when I tried to lean it against something.  So there I was, awkwardly holding the thing I couldn't wait to put down.  I probably watched less than a minute of the video.

Basically, it's like using a computer that has no legs.  Now I know what Chewbacca felt like when he was carrying the blown-apart C3P0 around on his back.

I tried it again last night.  So far, I've only used it for 20 minutes because that was about all I could stand and probably half of that time has been spent factory-resetting the device to erase my personal data.  The happiest moment was turning it off, putting it down and taking my phone out of my pocket.