Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Russia Plans to Save Earth

Russia Plans to Save Earth From Rogue Asteroid. My favorite line is “everything would be done ‘on the basis of the laws of physics.’”

I'm fascinated by the possibility of violating the laws of physics.  If they can do that then I say, Don't apologize! Carry on!  There are probably much more interesting solutions in that arena!

Also interesting is the “no nuclear explosions” policy.  I understand a concern about a nuclear power building large bombs and mounting them on rocket boosters and putting them in spacecraft.  Still, it's the most efficient case of energy per mass.  It's the best way to get the energy needed to change the momentum of an asteroid to the target.  If you are really saving the earth (an important requirement) then I think it's definitely time to drop the pretense of political correctness.